You are not 100% satisfied. You are not on top of your game. You know you want more but you don’t really know what you want.
Is that you?
You know what you don’t want. But you don’t know what you really want.
That was me for a very long time.
For years I was working in the software and consulting industries, I got exposure to so many different situations and slowly learned what I didn’t like. I didn’t want to do that again. I didn’t like to be that person. There were countless number of things that I didn’t want, but I did not have a clue what I truly wanted. Is that you? You feel stuck and exhausted. You are exhausted from doing things that you don’t really have heart for. You don’t know why you are doing it. You are stressed out but you don’t have a way out.
Is that how you feel?
First of all, before we drill into ways to identify what you really want, you need to know one thing.
You are in complete control of your life.
How can this be? It can be and it is. The quality of your life is simply determined by your own perception of life. Think about it. Many poor children in Africa would love to have your life right now. While you are struggling with what you want, they are just struggling to survive. You are in complete control of your life. All you need to do right now is to find what you want.
Here is what you should do:
- Find a quiet place where you can focus and think alone for a long time.
- Bring a blank notebook and open the 1st page.
- On top of the page, write down “What do I really want?”
- On the first line of this page, write down “Financially”.
- Open a new page, write down “Mentally”.
- Open a new page, write down “Emotionally”.
- Open a new page, write down “Physically”.
- Open a new page, write down “Spiritually”.
- Now go back to each page and write down your answers. Don’t worry about the “How” or the possibility of what you ask for. Only focus on what you want. Be excited and feel free to jot down any thought that comes to mind. No one is watching you. Just write it down.
- Financially: How much money do you want in your bank account? How much income do you want per month?
- Mentally: What is your ideal career? What is your ideal work day?
- Emotionally: How do you want to feel every day?
- Physically: What is your ideal weight or shape?
- Spiritually: Are you at peace? Do you want to be closer to God?
- When you are done writing down your answers, open a blank new page and list all of your answers.
- Review your list and give each one of them a ranking.
- Circle the number one rank on your list.
Ladies and gentlemen. That is what you really want! That is it.
It is not that hard to find out what you really want if you really want to be happy and be true to yourself. My number one “want” right now is to achieve one million visitors per month by March 15th, 2008.
How about you?
If you find this article helpful and want to support EdithYeung.com, click here.
10 Responses to “How to Identify What You Really Want?”