Leather can be defined as an animal hide, thereby making it a product of nature. Leather is highly malleable and therefore, can change shape whenever it wants. But, that doesn’t mean that you tuck away your leather products (such as bags, shoes, etc.) anywhere you want. This is because if the place even has a slight level of moisture, the leather products will get riddled with molds.
The same can be said about leaving leather products out to dry under sunlight over an extended period – because it will start losing their color. So, what should be done then? Well, that’s why we are here to suggest some practical tips on how you can store away your leather handbags & shoes, without inflicting any damage.
Methods To Store Away Leather Handbags
- Before you plan to store away your handbag, proceed to first wipe your leather bag with a damp cloth for removing all the dirt & dust present on its surface. After cleaning the surface, take a dry cloth and then wipe off the extra water.
- Obtain a good quality leather conditioner, and then apply a thin film over it. Let the conditioner rest for at least 30 minutes. Once done, you can then proceed to wipe away the residue with a dry cloth. It’s recommended that you recondition your shoes at least once per year. By performing a rehydration process, you’ll be opening up the leather pores on its surface and thereby allowing it to breathe. The leather conditioner is also used by professional leather seat cleaners for the maintenance of leather products.
- Fill the insides of your leather bag with crumpled paper, airbags, or bubble wraps – which will help it to retain its shape. Remember to use plain white paper for the same and avoid using newspapers because the paint on the newspapers tends to rub against the insides of the leather bag. Moreover, newspapers tend to shrink as well, often distorting the bag’s shape.
- It should be realized that since leather bags are susceptible to staining, make sure to use a plastic bag to store it away. Furthermore, proceed to use a pouch of silica gel to absorb the moisture. Proceed to keep it out in a cool & dry place.
Methods To Store Away Leather Shoes
- Similar to the procedure of storing leather bags, first proceed to clean your leather shoes. Use a damp cloth first to fend off the dirt & dust, and then a dry cloth to wipe off the residual water.
- Apply a thin layer of leather conditioner on the surface of the leather shoes and after 30 minutes, proceed to wipe it away.
- Stuff your shoes with plain white paper (and not newspapers) and store them away inside a cool & dry place.
We hope that the above-mentioned methods will help you maintain your leather shoes & bags in an ideal manner from now on.